! Hashcapades

Potato Hash Hashcapades Cookbook

How to Build Your PDX Breakfast Cred

Let’s say you were on a mission to uncover the best places in Portland for breakfast. Would you a) Google it; b) head to The Pearl; or c) hire a brunch sherpa? While Google may result in an array of choices and The Pearl may suffice, the correct answer is C. Why? Because hiring a brunch sherpa […]
Read More

Hashcapades – It Takes a Village – Part 3

In Part 2 of Hashcapades – It Takes a Village, I recounted my exploits with like-minded villagers at restaurants to sample all types of hash. I was also encouraged by food competition awards and PR firms kicking off campaigns featuring my hash – huzzah! In Part 3, the final installment, let me take you on a quick tour of the final steps involved in publishing my cookbook, Hashcapades: The Art of the Perfect Hash Adventure.  I was 80% of the way there, but would the remaining 20% delay and confound the village hash man?

Clark at Portland Bacon Takedown

At the first hashcapade of 2012 at Cafe Nell, I enthusiastically announced my intention to publish my cookbook, come hell or high water. The assembled hashcapade posse would now hold me accountable, like a newly elected sheriff looking to clean up the town – I needed a deputy! Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to formally deputize Mary Rarick to help me amp up my site, create a social media strategy for my Hashcapades feed on twitter, dedicated page on Facebook, bulletin board on Pinterest and deputize some other villagers. I learned about SEO from Andy Hayes, got my HTML groove on with Brandie Kajino and like magic, my site was clicking along and tweets a-flyin’!

Hashcapades Social Media

Next up, Hashcapades needed something interesting with a twist, something unusual to promote hash. During one of my brainstorming sessions with Mary, as I lamented how people only think about corned beef hash in a can, I came up with the tagline (and blog post), “Think Outside the Can”  – eureka! We married that with the graphic recording talents of Nitya Wakhlu and ninja video skills of Karl Lind to create a video, whose behind the scenes detail can be relived here. My villagers helped me create a masterpiece that would garner over a thousand hits!

Hash Leftovers

Time to deliver the pièce de résistance, a cook book…but how? Portland has an amazing wealth of professional villagers and I reached out to Paul Gerald who invited me to a Northwest Association of Book Publishers. There, I met Sue Mann, a copy editor specializing in cookbooks, who would expertly transform my manuscript into consistent culinary prose. Anita Jones was my book designer – super patient with this village newbie, professional, inventive and a hard worker! My photos for the book were all taken over several years with an increasing eye for crisp photos with minimal styling. I needed a pro to create a gorgeous book cover, replace some less-than-stellar photos, and try to capture a decent photo of yours truly. Jackie Donnelly Baisa would work her food styling and photography magic during a hashtastic day-long photo shoot.

Hashcapades Evolution

And so it was that what started as an idea, slowly evolved from blog posts to a rough “hash essay”, which I titled, “The Art of Hash: Secrets of a Lazy Chef,” to a prototype book, to the final product on the right! I should mention my print-on-demand partner, Lightning Source, for printing my book and BookBaby for transforming and distributing in eBook format for iBooks (available now), Kindle, Nook, eReader (available mid to end of September).

Collage of My Hashcapades Village

Hashcapades is a reality and I have the most amazing village to thank – Mike, Mary, Cory, Cassi, Angela, Mary, Suzanne, Lisa, Dana, Tony, Dawn, Tamara, Andy, Michelle, Elizabeth, Mark, Jessica, Maria, Hilary, Nick, Rose, Barbara, Marci and Darla, Jackie, Sabrina, Joshua, Lidia, John, Lars, Dave, Gina, Janel, John, Don, Kristin, Sunni, Ryan, Karl, Nitya, Erik, Jen, Noah, Kaleb, Alexis, Bill, Jeff, Mari, Alex, Rachel, Connor, Kate, Wendy, Alina, Christian, Catherine, Jeff, Jen, Andrea, Brent, Sue, Anita, Suzanne, Angela, Matt, Ori, Nich, Lindsay, Lyndsey, Paul, Vivian, Jenn, Lisa and Cassie. I am truly blessed!

Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3

Happy Hashcapades,


2 Responses to “Hashcapades – It Takes a Village – Part 3”

  1. Mary Rarick

    It’s been a privilege and a bucket of laughs working with you, Clark. I’m looking forward to taking Hashcapades to the next level.

    • Clark Haass

      UberMary – I could not have done this without your UberNinja skills! Truly an honor and the best is yet to come!

Welcome! Sign up here for hashcapades newsletter where you'll discover the latest and greatest hashcapades in Portland, new hash recipes and more!

You'll also get a FREE Top 10 Hashcapade Recipe Sampler when you confirm your subscription!

* indicates required
Email Format